13 October 2010

the business end of my brush

[WEDNESDAY 13 OCTOBER 2010]
Hi-Ho! And off to werk I go...

I've spent the morning jumping from canvas to canvas, doing a bit here, a bit there.  Werking on things that haven't seen the light of day for months and months, and everything remains in a half-finished state.  These are just two of the paintings that have seen the business end of my brush:




I'm starting to think I need a new project to really get my teeth into.

This new "rock face" could be that project.  Looks like there'll be quite a bit of werk prep-ing the ground before the neon is added.



So I sat there, contemplating my next move.  Gazing round the studio...  As if in a trance I approached the large square canvas on the wall, applied a little oil paint (Coeruleum Blue and Burnt Sienna) to areas at the foot of the picture plane.  Then out comes the ink and a frenzy of activity; then on goes my pint glass of water...


next: thinned-down Cobalt Blue and White, more water, more paint; then the dregs of everything I've thrown at it, that has collected in the trays underneath, that goes back down too.  I have paint on my hands and paint splashed across my face, and the feeling is good.


I have another go: water; charcoal; brush it around; scrape some old flake white paint across with a palette knife to suggest a cloud; and, of course, more filthy run-off water... I sit back and take it in: a good start.


And to finish off for the day: a little more werk on the orange neon glowing 'NO'.

No comments:

Post a Comment