14 July 2010

that bird has flown

[WEDNESDAY 14 JULY 2010]
I feel like a baby bird I have nursed and nourished has just fledged the nest... Such is the void left when a painting I have focussed all my attentions and energies on is finally finished and taken out into the real world. After the blood, sweat and curses, and all the physical exertion: it is just gone. I have spoken of 'the void' before. This is it.

But I have other canvases to werk on. Canvases that have been neglected in my rush to finish 'Wish You Were Here'.

Having spent the past few sessions werking al fresco I returned to the loft to disarray. Now almost everything is back in its rightful place, I squeeze some Permanent Magenta oil paint onto the palette, with the intention of adding some immediate glow to the 'purple drip' painting. I have a blank. Was it painted straight on, unmixed? Did I add some white? Or mix it with another colour?

So I'm back on the computer, looking at photos of 'SPQR' and 'Commemorative Date Plaque: 05.09.09'. Then back through old Wednesday Painter posts. Bingo!

On Wednesday 12 August 2009, I wrote:
"Number 2 is up on the easel now. First I over-painted the white neon characters; then some Permanent Magenta mixed with Titanium White for the intense, immediate glow around the characters."
Permanent Magenta and Titanium White. Permanent Magenta and Titanium White. Permanent Magenta and Titanium White. Permanent Magenta and Titanium White. Permanent Magenta and Titanium White. Permanent Magenta and Titanium White.

And in the afternoon, I turn my attentions to injecting some bright blue glow on the blue neon drip.

No comments:

Post a Comment