24 June 2010

critical mass

[THURSDAY 24 JUNE 2010]
A bonus day of painting for me. Except half way through the morning I realise I've reached some kind of critical mass: All the canvases I am werking on are at a stage where I need to let them dry/cure/sit for at least a week before I continue.

I spent a good deal of time spreading more paint on the purple drip painting. First Lemon Yellow paint, then blotting it out with black. All this werk is making the canvas more and more slack. It billows like a sail when you hit it at certain points. There is too much distinction between the purple neon glow and the fucked up background. I apply some Ultramarine to the outer glow, werk it in with the purple, and out into the blackness. Not satisfied, but better.

A cup of tea, then I'm back. But what to do now? 'Love is Amour..' has been temporarily retired to the corner. The blue drip is drying. All other canvases are trapped behind wet ones. All I have is this great big 'Wish You Were Here' and it's staring me right in the face. the glow is wet, but the letters are crying out for more paint - cadmium yellow and titanium white - these things take longer than you would expect, painstakingly colouring in between the lines, werking right up close, brush held at an unwieldy height. It gives me cramp and makes my head swim.
I need a break. I need some lunch. I come back and conclude that the werk I can do here today is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment