19 May 2011

a brave idea (that did not work)

[THURSDAY 19 MAY 2011]
The return of the Thursday Painter.  Sitting here faffing on the internet.  He's thinking about what painting to tackle first, but mostly he's struggling to get out there and filling time with internet crap...

Journal Entry:
This morning I worked on some watercolour sketches.  I don't do these very often and I'm not happy so far with the results.  One of them is a draft for a competition, think I might need to have a few goes before I'm happy enough to submit it.

I didn't get much else done before lunch, but had a spurt of activity at 2.30pm, taking the old "rock face" in hand, I concluded it was time I got it finished.  I added a bit of glow leaking out over the edges of the fault-line. And now the canvas resides temporarily in the house ready to have holes picked at my leisure.



At this point I had a brave idea, I've been mulling it over for a few days. But the time had come to seize the moment (I still had a practice run on a crappy old small canvas to check).  My plan: to paint over the big square Unitation d'Habité painting with some yellow-y white, then scrape it all off with a plank of wood.


It didn't work.  I cursed myself.  I took to it with a rag and a bottle of white spirit, scrubbing hard to remove as much paint as I could.  Still no joy.

I resorted to more white spirit, leaning the canvas at an angle and applying to the building.  I used up a whole bottle of white spirit and soaked the rug in the stuff..

So now I've removed as much of the fuck-up as I can and I'm still not any happier with the painting than when I came in this morning.  At least the "rock-face" looks better...

No comments:

Post a Comment