5 May 2010

Rustin's Pure Turpentine

[WEDNESDAY 05 MAY 2010]
EVACUATE! EVACUATE!

I have had to leave the loft temporarily whilst the fumes abate. I found an old bottle of Rustin's Pure Turpentine (circa 1970s, I would guess).

Christ they don't make it like they used to! A good vintage? Depends which way you look at it: If you like your turps fumes to spread thick and fast, and to make your head swim and linger on your tongue, then this is definitely the one for you; If, on the other hand, you prefer to keep lucid whilst you paint, the ol' bottle of Rustin's is a bad idea.

Wednesday Painting will re-commence after this short lunch break.

I return to find the stench of turps is enough that I'll be high all afternoon unless I don some kind of respiratory aid - I fetch THE MASK (a 'tool of the artist', occasionally required for health and sanity purposes).

This stage of the painting is all about getting pigment onto the canvas and building up a base layer. It's relaxing to werk unhindered by hang-ups and to just paint and paint. It is also physically hard werk. I resort to standing on the stool to reach the top of the canvas, then sitting down for the lower quarter.





















I add another layer of paint over the blue and red glows of 'LOVE IS AMOUR...' and also to the blue drip, a mixture of Phthalo Blue and Titanium White. It feels good to just PAINT.


No comments:

Post a Comment